Friday, January 11, 2008

Not Another Predictions Column! Divisional Round

Not Another Predictions Column! Divisional Round of Playoffs

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS @ GREEN BAY PACKERS


It almost ended up happening that I would be missing this game, this week. However, my schedule worked out, and I should be able to see almost all of this game. I will be watching with my Brett Favre jersey on, anxiously waiting to see who gets the ball and who scores. Matt Hasselbeck has probably heard quite enough of that. In fact, I am willing to bet he has a speech in place for it now: “Fourscore and seven years ago, I walked onto this hallowed field, and made perhaps the most infamous mistake of my career when I said those ill-fated words ‘we want the ball, we’re gonna score.’ Just as Tony Romo will have to deal with the mention of his ‘Seattle Slight’ for years, so have I dealt with these stones flung by you in the media. And so, I come before you today to redeem myself. We want the ball, and, this time, we’re going to take it and go home.” Look, Seattle did not play that well against Washington. They were winning 13-0 before Washington came back into it. The offense was not doing much at all. The defense scored the game-clinching scores. If this game becomes a shoot-out, and the Seattle offense of last week shows up, Seattle will get blown away. If Green Bay messes up on offense and lets that defense start wreaking havoc, well, then, Green Bay gets blown away. Yes, this is extremely basic analysis. Here is what it comes down to: Green Bay is a very young team, and might be a little star struck in the playoffs. Key word? “Might.” I say that because none other than Brett Favre leads them, and he knows what he’s doing. Packers win it this week, advancing to the NFC Championship Game.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS @ NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS


David Garrard ruined my perfect predictions column last week with his 32-yard run on fourth down. I would love to get on the Jaguars bandwagon. However, they have not been going up against teams that I have wanted to lose, which it makes it difficult to pick them. As my readers know, I have, and continue to, supported the Patriots throughout this season. If the Jags win this week, then I might definitely support them next week. Tom Brady was named the NFL MVP. This was to be expected considering the 16-0 season he and the rest of the Patriots crafted, but still, more than one vote should have gone to Brett Favre. Take away Brady, and the Patriots are likely still in the playoffs considering the division they played in. Take away Favre, and the Packers probably do not go anywhere this season. The simple fact is this – the Jaguars barely beat the Steelers, twice. The Steelers are nowhere near as good as the Patriots, and nowhere near as good at putting up points. The Patriots will expose the Jaguars this week – unless, and this is a big unless – the Jaguars can wear out the defense for the Patriots with their running game, keeping Brady off the field. This game will be close until the third or fourth quarters, when the Patriots will explode and win.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS


These two teams played one of the wackiest games I have ever seen several weeks ago, when the Chargers won despite every attempt to give the game away by both teams. Instead of it being a “whomever scores last” battle, it was a “whenever you want to just call this one, go ahead” battle. Peyton Manning was playing with scrubs at wide receiver, threw six interceptions, and only lost by two points. Well, the Colts should be healthy now, after having a few weeks off. They had been getting rather banged up with injuries. Marvin Harrison is expected to play this week, and that will provide a test for young Antonio Cromartie, interceptor extraordinaire. Cromartie must be licking his chops to take on Manning again – the last time they met, three of those six Manning interceptions went to Cromartie. I could see this game as out-doing the last one, but the result will be different. Colts win and go on to the AFC Championship game, again.

NEW YORK GIANTS @ DALLAS COWBOYS – WEEKLY UPSET GAME!

Eli Manning won a playoff game! The Sky Is Falling! The Sky Is Falling! After falling behind early, he executed quite well and led his Giants to a convincing victory over the Buccaneers of Tampa Bay. Terrell Owens says he will play this week. However, he still is dealing with the ankle injury, so how much will that hamper him? Tony Romo remembers his last playoff game, and his ‘Seattle Slight,’ as I’ve termed it. He wants to try to make new memories, ones that erase those. Oh, and he’s going to Mexico with Jessica Simpson. Does he want a football championship, or a woman? That’s the quintessential million-dollar question of the day. I am banking on Eli Manning continuing his newfound post-season success and giving me my upset game this week. The Cowboys do not want to be Facing The Giants – because they will lose. Cowboys are one and done this year, folks.

Last week I went 3-1 and am 3-1 in the playoffs.

By Robert “RingLeader” Gilbert

[Comments Will Be Taken In The PantherCoalition Forums]





No comments: